Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pizza Due

I mentioned a week or so ago that I was learning to make pizza dough from scratch, and was having some difficulties.  Well, yesterday/today was another attempt, and this time, I did SCIENCE to it!

Which means basically that I did all of the same things (keeping them constant) except for two changes I thought might improve the results (the variables).  Now, strictly speaking, for a "pure" experiment I would have only changed one thing, and thus known exactly to what I should attribute any results, but I'm a little impatient, and I was willing to accept that a positive result could be due to either variable.

As it happens, the results were near identical, which does actually tell me something-- it tells me that if I want to get different results, I'll have to change a different variable.  Unfortunately, the remaining variables are all specifically recipe related rather than technique, and I'm not sure I want to mess around with different flours or anything.  I may just decide to be happy with what I'm getting now, since it's perfectly serviceable pizza crust.

For the record-- I'm using Mark Bittman's basic pizza dough recipe from How to Cook Everything (app edition), and I was messing with hydration levels (amount of water in the recipe), cooking temp, and fermentation time (overnight in the fridge instead of an hour or two on the counter).

2 comments:

  1. You know there actually is a Pizza Due in Chicago, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sure. But I was due for a second pizza post anyway, and I didn't think anyone reading the post would be confused.

      Delete