Monday, November 5, 2012

Fish Monday - Fish cakes

I've done a post before about fish cakes.  But that was a recipe.  Last night, I found myself staring at the hunk of cod I'd bought from the store and thinking, "I don't want to just broil it like usual.  That's boring.  But on the other hand, I didn't buy or prepare any of the ingredients that I would have needed for an actual planned dish."

So, time to take a chance.  Tear some sandwich bread into chunks, and run through the food processor with some cilantro.  Hack up the cod fillet into chunks.  Run that through the processor, and add bread crumbs until the consistency looks plausible.  Add some squirts of Worcestershire sauce and mustard, and a beaten egg.  Fry some chopped onion and throw that in too.  Add less salt than it needed (this is a perennial problem-- I'm always underseasoning things).  Form into patties, and coat with panko.  Fry in olive oil over medium heat.  Start talking like Gordon Ramsay.  Serve over fresh spinach so that the heat from the cakes wilts it just a bit.  Add a schmear of mayo and a squirt of lemon.

Then add more salt and pepper since I forgot it earlier.  Sigh.

Other than that, though, it was pretty good.  Still more involved than just broiling, and definitely a bit less healthy (only pan frying in olive oil, but still), but tasty.  I think I can add this one to the "doesn't need a recipe" pile.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty impressed! And remember, it's always better to underseason than overseason. (Especially with salt!)

    ReplyDelete