Monday, October 29, 2012

This post has nothing to do with Sandy

Last weekend (9 days ago) I had a small accident, wherein I needed to stop our dog very quickly from chasing a squirrel into the street.  Sadly, all I had with which to attempt this task was my voice (only moderately effective at this point), the rope to which he was attached, and my bare hands.

So now I have minor rope burns that are finally starting to heal.  But over the course of the last week, I have learned that in 2009, Johnson & Johnson (not an S. C. Johnson company) discontinued the sale of their immensely popular First Aid Cream, which irks me no end.  When I go into a drug-type store now, all I see are antibiotic creams (unnecessary and possibly harmful in the long run due to overuse of antibiotics), "burn sprays" (overkill, and hard to apply to the webbing between my fingers anyway), and various aloe-type gels, which I'm not sure are safe to apply to broken skin.  This is annoying-- all I want is something I can rub onto a wound that will moisturize, soothe, and seal it/protect it a bit from the environment.  And there really isn't anything on the shelves that matches that.

After surfing Amazon's product reviews, I was informed of two things: to wit, 1) that a popular replacement is manufactured by Ambix Laboratories, a company that does not seem to have a web presence and about which I can find only limited information, and 2) that the old first aid cream apparently had a beeswax base, which may in part explain its disappearance since the price of beeswax has apparently skyrocketed (possibly due in turn to colony collapse disorder).

No comments:

Post a Comment