Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Rusks and S'mores

Not together, mind you, although I suppose they could be.

Today I learned two minor food-related things-- first, that there is such a thing as a "rusk," which is a "sweet plain bread baked, sliced, and baked again until dry and crisp," when it's not a "hard crisp bread originally used as ship's stores."  I had never heard of it, but apparently it's a thing.  So there's that.

In another setting, from a podcast which usually isn't terribly foodie, I learned that it is possible to make a S'mores with a candy other than a chocolate bar.  I have no idea why this never occurred to me.  Reportedly Kit Kats don't work very well (which I can see), Snickers are pretty good, and Peanut Butter Cups are excellent, which I will verify the very instant that I can buy some marshmallows and set fire to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment