Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tuvaluvaleroy

So it turns out that the .tv domain (as seen on such sites as MTV.tv) is actually Tuvalu's country domain.  They're getting paid about 2 million per year for its use by television companies, which amounts to something like 5% of their GDP. (5% of the USA's GDP would be something like 750 billion dollars).  Apparently there was a rumor going around a few years ago that it would be canceled, since "the Island of Tuvalu is sinking!"  This was about as serious as you would expect.  Although, now that I look around, there really aren't a whole lot of .tv websites anymore-- MTV.tv is a mirror of MTV.com, Hollywood.tv redirects to a YouTube page, etc. etc.  It's still a viable domain name, but I guess it's not very popular right now for some reason.

The title of this post is a REALLY damn obscure reference.  I highly doubt that anyone who isn't living in my head will get it, but if you do, please let me know.  Then get out of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment