Monday, September 17, 2012

Hash Browns

A new Dunkin Donuts/convenience store has opened up near my Humble Abode (well, the donut part is open, anyway-- the convenience store was still setting up as of this morning), and they have accordingly sent out copious couponry to... well, the entire county, near as I can tell.  But I was enticed thereby, so I stopped in for breakfast.

I used one of the aforementioned coupons to acquire an order of their hash browns, and purchased a small hot chocolate to go with it.  The hot chocolate was completely uninteresting-- moderately chocolaty, very sweet, and, well, hot.  It is of the hash browns that I wish to speak.

The hash browns were shaped as thick rounds-- slightly larger than a Double Stuf(tm) Oreo.  They were served to me hot, in a waxed paper sleeve, with some extra napkins, which I appreciated since I intended to eat them in the car on my commute.  Not best practices, but I only had so much time, and the DD was actually slightly out of my way.

The flavor was good-- very potato-y, with a substantial and not unwelcome oniony undertone.  There were good salt levels, too; well seasoned without being overpowering.

My only objection is that they were not especially crisp, except for right around the edges, and that only on the topmost browns.  The rounds that had the misfortune to be on the bottom of the paper sleeve steamed a bit, and were decidedly soft, if not quite soggy.  I prefer a nicely crisp hash brown, so that was a bit disappointing.  Still, I'd be willing to try them again (and I have another coupon for a free order so I well may), and see how much of their condition was due to the particular preparation this morning.  After all, it was a new location, so perhaps the operator of the fry station (I assume they were somehow fried and not just microwaved) simply needs a bit more experience.  We shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment